[mythtv-users] Some hiccups during recording

wouter lists wouter.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 07:56:05 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have a strange issue. Every recording has a hiccup of 10 seconds. It
doesn't matter when it's recorded.

My system has a saa7134-based card, so I have to use rtjpeg to record.

Let's say I record a show of 25 minutes. With the pre- and post
recordings, it has recorded for 37 minutes. The result is a file of
2.6 GB.
When watching the show, the hiccups appear after 10 minutes. That's
one thirth of the show or after 800-900MB.
My system has 1GB of memory and is dedicated to mythtv. It's Gentoo based.

Can there be a relation between the hiccups and the system memory? I
have the feeling that's caching it in memory and writes it down when
the memory is full. I my case this means it has to write 800MB to disk
and it cannot do this fast enough so i get hiccups?

Any idea or help?

Wouter

My system specs:
Gentoo x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.6.20-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT (with irqpoll option)
Western Digital ST3320620AS (300GB)
1GB Memory