[mythtv-users] I thought you couldnt capture Componnet?

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Apr 11 22:17:22 UTC 2007

>I was just browsing the net and went to Sling Media's page and saw they
have a
>SlingboxPRO that can capture HD video via component and re-encode it to a
lower
>quality for broadband speeds.
>
>Now i ask,  How can they produce a product that can digitize component HD
(up to
>1080i) and re-encode it for $250?  And there is no product we can buy that
simple
>converts component video back to digital?
>
>Makes me scratch my head!
>
>Thoughts?

It's the "re-encode to lower quality" that is the catch - the "HD capture"
is only 640x480 according to
http://finalcutpro.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=85004 and
you can't get more than 320x240 out to the internet. Easy to "capture HD"
for cheap if the first thing you do is throw out all those extra bits and
really capture SD.