[mythtv-users] mythtv HD playback issue with HDHomerun, SUSE 10.2, Core Duo

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 11 00:50:25 UTC 2007

hariharan swaminathan wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm running mythtv  svn 12782 ( someone suggested this in HDhomerun forum).
> PC configuration:
> SUSE Linux 10.2,
> Intel Core Duo E6600 & 2G memory. Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H  Motherboard
> It has an onboard video - Intel GMA X3000. I also have a HDHomerun tuner.
>
> This is connected thro' VGA to my panasonic plasma TV. It's an EDTV
> with native resolution 720x480.
>
> I'm trying to play 1080i & 720p video & the playback is not good,
> especially in fast motion video.
>
> In mythfrontend verbose mode, I see the following line almost every sec:
>  NVP: Video is 3.04651 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame
> to catch up.
>
> In mythbackend log also,
> I see errors like
> [mpeg2video @ 0xb73ed588]current_picture not initalized
> 2007-03-26 00:00:01.946 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> But the mythbackend error is not very frequent.
>
> Any idea what's wrong?
>
> Thanks in Advance.

Well one thing that stands out for me is your video card. I suspect it
may not be up to the task of displaying the hd video.  Your base system
seems fast enough and I suspect 'top' will show lots of spare cpu
available. Invest in a cheap nVidia FX5200 with the right output options
for your set. You wont regret the investment.

Is your hdhr running on a 10 Mbit or 100 Mbit network connection? 10
Mbit may  not be fast enough. Wireless can be an issue too.