[mythtv-users] No ATI support for Myth says AMD

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 23:36:22 UTC 2007

> On Apr 10, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Chad wrote:
>

> > So, although it's still not billions, it sure seems 'cost effective'
> > to actually do it.
> >

> Maybe, maybe not. There are many cost factors involved. Documenting
> the software involved, creating user documentation and keeping it up
> to date, even if it's just a README file. Educating phone support
> personnel about what to say when a caller asks about Myth or Linux.

True, I meant to be all inclusive, I think all inclusively (from
coding to education) it would cost less than $5 mil.  Even if it cost
them exactly $5 mil, I think as a company that plans to exist for a
while, it would be beneficial to them...

> Taking the negative publicity into account if there is a problem or a
> glitch somewhere in their "support" of Myth.

Or the negative publicity for not supporting it.  It's a double edged
sword apparently.

> And don't forget that outfits like AMD depend on "business partners",
> some of whom are the notorious "hollywood types". Supporting Myth
> might cost them business that would wind up going to their main
> competitor. Hollywood still sees not just Myth users but Linux users
> in general as a "bunch of pirates" (and discussions here about
> ripping DVDs don't exactly help that situation).

Sad but probably somewhat true.  Although I have to think that slowly
"Hollywood" has got to see the value in Linux.  DreamWorks did.

> Think about ALL the factors, not just the part that effects you
> directly.

I do, but I'm not working for ATI/AMD so I can't exactly take into
account everything they will/do or make a good recommendation.  :)

> I don't like their decision, but I certainly understand it.

Understanding something is good, but that doesn't make it right.  I
know why some people choose to drive extremely fast (to work for
example) but that doesn't mean it's ok.  Because ATI/AMD have chosen
not to support MythTV at this time, they are choosing to screw
themselves out of x amount of dollars.  If x is a constant (which it's
not) and time stands still (or remains the same indefinitely), AND the
cost of developing those drivers is greater than x, then it was a good
decision.  Somehow, I doubt any of that is true though, which makes it
a bad decision, IMO.

> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

-Chad