[mythtv-users] OT: Optimising 50Hz over 60Hz VGA

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 21:48:06 UTC 2007

LE23R41B @ 1360x768_60 via FX5200

On 10 Apr 2007, at 21:44, ryan patterson wrote:
> What issues do you have with PAL playback at 60Hz?  I've played
> many PAL recordings on my old NTSC TV at 60Hz and on my new HDTV at
> 1080p 60Hz.  I've never noticed any significant problem with doing
> this.

Playback is generally very good, it's difficult to describe the exact
problem, but fast moving scenes or panning are just very very
slightly jittery I suppose. The problem is because Xv has to
duplicate 10 frames every second (assuming PAL and Bob 2x) in order
to turn 50fps to 60fps in order to match the TV.

It's by no means a show-stopper, and to be honest I hadn't noticed it
until I compared it with MS MCE on a friend's 26" Samsung TV with
v.similar hardware. It turns out his is running via DVI -> HDMI and
at 50Hz. I guess now that I know it should be better, I'm struggling
not to notice it!

Ben