[mythtv-users] Whats the difference between nvidia MX4000 and 5200

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 10 18:54:58 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007 02:43 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> i need to buy a video card for my new frontend.  It will be SD only.
> I know the most popular card is the 5200 but the MX4000 is ~$20
> cheaper.  Whats really the differance when put with Myth?  Is the
> quality better?  Does one provide more CPU offload with XvMC?

The primary difference is that the MX4000 (and GF4MX440 and other
GF4-based cards) is supported by NVIDIA drivers < 9700 (current version
is 9755), so it's basically been "end-of-lifed".  If you buy it now, it
may limit your options for kernel upgrades (although 9631 seems to work
fine with 2.6.20.4).

However, the 5000 series are probably next on the chopping block, so
whether they're no longer supported in 1 week or 1 month or 1 year or
... only time (or someone who knows where to find NVIDIA's product
support roadmap) will tell.  You'll have to decide how important this is
to you.

As far as SDTV goes either works fine.

Mike