[mythtv-users] Mobo died - how to restore DB

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Tue Apr 10 01:28:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 20:54 -0400, Matt wrote:
> On 4/9/07, Darren <darrenmarshall at linuxfire.biz> wrote:
> > If you get a kernel panic your in trouble, if your just going to change the
> > motherboard be sure to use one with the same chipset.
> >
> > Darren
> >

> Well, I can tell you that I won't be replacing it with the same mobo.
> So, what's my best shot at this point?

I would try it with the new motherboard and old drive first. If you do
get a kernel panic it's because it can't read the drive, in which case
your data is in no danger. And if it boots up and reads the drive, it's
the same system that was running before just on different hardware so,
again, you're in no danger.

The issue you'd be most likely to encounter would be if your hard drives
get different names with the new motherboard. i.e. /dev/hda suddenly
becomes, /dev/hdb, etc. If you're using grub as your bootloader (most
modern distros already do) this is easy enough to get around. Just
change the "root" kernel parameter and off you go. Then after you boot
you may need to tweak your fstab.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837