[mythtv-users] DIsable auto recording/saving of some livetv channels and howto start in LiveTV mode by default ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 8 19:49:20 UTC 2007

On 04/08/2007 01:43 AM, Dave wrote:
> Two fairly simple questions.
>
> 1. Is there a way to tag certain channels to NOT be recorded (all live
> tv is really a recording) by default ? For example i really don't want
> to watch yesterdays news from CNN, BBC or SKY tomorrow, so can i tag
> those channels to never record and only show me live broadcasts ?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Why_is_MythTV_recording_EVERYTHING_I_watch_in_Live_TV.3F
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#But_my_Harddrive_keeps_filling_up_from_all_these_Live_TV_recordings.21_How_do_I_stop_it_from_recording.3F
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#It_didn.27t_used_to_do_this.2C_why_did_it_change.3F
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I_don.27t_want_it_to_delete_things_unless_I_tell_it_to.21

Besides, yesterday's LiveTV is deleted today by default.  (Unless you've
changed your system to keep it for longer, LiveTV is expired after 1
day, so you don't have to worry about watching yesterday's CNN today.)

> I know i can set up 'tvtime' or something like that in a myth menu and
> just show those using the
>
>    http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_TV_Bouquet
>
> instructions i wrote up. Should this be an RFE ?

No.  However, if you want to write a patch that allows you to watch TV
on a remote frontend while it's /not/ being recorded (and compressed at
a 30:1 ratio (assuming MPEG-2)) and still allows for pausing, rewinding,
and fast-forwarding, feel free.  I'm sure all the Myth developers would
learn a lot from the code once you make it work.  ;)

> 2. How can i by default start in Live TV mode ? Is there a post startup
> user script mythtv looks for so i can do
>
>    echo jump livetv | telnet 0 6546
>
> ? My wife doesn't really want to see the menu by default and click ok
> for the watch tv selection.

Do you really want MythTV recording television all the time...  ;)

My recommendation is to never start mythfrontend--leave it running /all/
the time.  Then, it's just a matter of hitting the LiveTV button when
you want to watch LiveTV or hitting the Watch Recordings button when you
want to watch recordings or hitting the MythMusic button when you want
to listen to music or ...

Then again, you could just set up Myth to record everything that you and
your wife could ever possibly want to watch and realize that LiveTV is a
waste of time...  Why not watch what you want when you want.

However, if you really want the no-recordings LiveTV, the approach you
mentioned with xawtv or tvtime or ... is the only one you'll see
mentioned on these Myth lists (as I don't expect this functionality to
ever be a part of MythTV, a Digital or Personal Video /Recorder/).

Mike