[mythtv-users] All's well with DataDirect again

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Apr 8 02:36:27 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/07/2007 07:08 PM, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

>>> And remember that mythfilldatabase will pick up these changes on its
>>> daily runs--you don't need to force a refresh.  Tomorrow's data will be
>>> refreshed today.  +2's day will be refreshed tomorrow, +3's on +2, and
>>> so on...
>>>
>>> For those days that you had a significant amount of "No Data," they will
>>> be refreshed on the next mythfilldatabase run.
>>>
>> However, unless I misunderstand something today's data will not be picked
>> up.  Therefore you might want to run
>>
>>    mythfilldatabase  --refresh-today  --refresh-second
>>
>> manually if you want to fix today's programming.  Added "--refresh-second"
>> since running it manually will prevent the normally mythfilldatabase from
>> running today.
>>
>> I am not 100% sure of any of this so fell free to correct me.
>
> --refresh-second isn't tomorrow.  It's +2.  Tomorrow is +1 (and today is
> +0).
>
> mythfilldatabase /always/ refreshes tomorrow unless you use
> "--dont-refresh-tomorrow".
>
> So, if you feel you /must/ refresh today (a Saturday night, remember),
> please use the line:
>
> mythfilldatabase --refresh-today
>
> only.  If your mythfilldatabase ran early today and your next scheduled
> run (which is available from the backend status web page or the System
> Status screen in mythfrontend) isn't until tomorrow and you need to
> ensure the proper listings for Sunday, run mythfilldatabase without any
> "--refresh" arguments.
>
> Make sure you also remember other arguments you've specified in
> mythfrontend's configuration, i.e. "--no-delete" or
> "--remove-new-channels" or ...

The first thing to do right out of the gate is:

$ mythfilldatabase --max-days 1

This grabs today's data only and ought to be done ASAP. The
rest isn't as urgent.

The new data was not available until midday (past noon PDT)
so any grab earlier than that did no good. In fact, they hadn't
done their usual daily load within the previous 24 hours (a time
which I won't specify ;) so a grab before noon PDT would have
gotten the same bad data as the day before.

Because myth grabs data for 'tomorrow' and any new days added
two weeks out, it would be wise to reload all days to replace
the damaged dozen or so days in between. Correcting these may
help with conflict resolution when future showings are known.
This can work both ways so a show could be Latered to resolve
a conflict OR a show may currently be Latered to a showing
which will no longer be shown (this would be bad and result in
missing an episode).

$ mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

This should only be done when you know that the data in your
database is incorrect, say, today for example.

DD traffic spikes at the tops of hours most likely due to cron
jobs and other automatic processes being triggered on the hour.
Therefore, run mfdb only between hh:10 and hh:55 when there
is no peak traffic. You'll be glad you did. Also, don't run
mfdb while something is recording if you can help it. More joy.

Once you have new data you may want to check a few things:

- Check today's upcoming recordings for conflicts (duh ;-).

- If you were getting generics for a series and changed the
record type, look at the upcoming episodes ("O") and see if
there are specific episodes now. If so, you can change the
record type back to what it had been.

- If this week's episode of a series recorded from a generic
showing, a rebroadcast with the full description may be
scheduled to record. If you are sure you have recorded that
episode then click "Never Record". If you are really up to
date with SVN these will even be shown with the status "V".

- Go to the Set Priorities to see your list of rule and
check that they are or are not recording as you'd expect.
"1" sorts by title. "5" sorts by the number of matching
showing for the rule. Investigate any with too many or too
few showings compared to what you'd expect.

- Check your Upcoming Recordings page for anything in white
marked "N". This would happen if you set a Single, Timeslot
or Weekslot rule but now the TV listings no longer match.

- Look at Scheduled Recordings->Search Lists->New Titles to
check for things you might want to see within the next day or
two that were added when the new data was loaded.

--  bjm