[mythtv-users] MythTV: Front end hesitation over network

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sat Apr 7 16:59:37 UTC 2007

Thanks to all who answered on this. I have some great ideas to try.

FWIW, I scopped out the house and I *could* actually run cat 5 ... drill
ceiling to closet floor above, up the back of the closet into the attic,
over, and down into the study closet where the router lives.

But I'll try a hotter wireless card first.

As for the good performance, I realized years ago that ethernet on a 6
machine home network usually has all the bandwidth to give at any given
moment.

It's really nice when your problems migrate from making it work at all to
making it work better :-)

On Fri, April 6, 2007 9:42 am, Peter A. Daly wrote:
> A wireless gaming adapter may be a simple solution to the problem.
>
> http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/hardware/wireless_gaming_adapter-802.11g.html
>
> -Pete
>
> On 4/6/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 5 Apr 2007, at 16:48, Lan Barnes wrote:
>>
>> > The good news is I got MythFE working over the network. Tha other
>> > news is,
>> > it pauses exery ten seconds or so for about a half second.

>> > vendorId: 1260
>> > deviceId: 3873
>>
>> This <http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=12603873> indicates that your card
>> is only capable of 11mbps 802.11b speeds. You're doing well to get
>> the performance you are!!
>>
>> The prism54 cards <http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=12603890> will do
>> 802.11g and your DI-624 is capable of supporting their 54mbps speeds.
>> Also cards utilising the rt2500 chipset are very good. I can supply
>> either - mail me off-list for details.
>>
>> If you can find a card featuring the Atheros chipset supported by the
>> madwifi driver then you might be able to do the "108mbps" "turbo"
>> mode. This might be adequate for streaming HD, should you wish to
>> play that in the future.
>>
>> Stroller.

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer