[mythtv-users] DVB-S cards

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Apr 6 17:23:21 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2007, at 16:51, Robert wrote:
>>> * Can the LNB on my satellite dish (was installed by Sky in late 2003
>>> but don't know the make) supply two (or more) cards using a splitter?
>> Short answer: No.  For each demux you want to record from, you need an
>> LNB.  So in essence you need a dual / quad LNB.  I believe the
>> newer Sky
>> LNBs have multiple outputs for things like Sky+.  Splitters on
>> satellite
>> don't work in the same way as splitters on ariels - you can split the
>> signal, but everyone connected to the split has to watch the same
>> channel.
>
> Further to Robert's EXCELLENT answer I think you can identify a multi-
> LNB because it has multiple co-ax connectors on the LNB itself.
>
> EG:
> Single LNB: http://tinyurl.com/2e85h6
> Quad LNB: http://tinyurl.com/2h7l7u
>
> Stroller.

Don't forget Dual LNB - these are set up to point to Astra & Hotbird at
the same time, for even more channels you don't want to watch...

You get one cable from each LNB, so that means 2 cards, one dedicated to
each satellite, but independantly tunable, of course.

This is my 'later on' idea, once I get DVB-T domesticated.

Mike Perkins