[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Apr 5 19:08:17 UTC 2007

I'm at the point where I want to add HD capabilities to my SD setup.
Two out of our three sets are HD capable (already 16:9).

My BE is a fully populated MicroATX system (no more slots :( ), which
got me to thinking of the HDHomeRun as an option (the Hauppauge 1600
would be good IF it were supported under linux. :( ).

After reading past posts on the list and looking at the device itself
(on the web page), is it as easy as it claims to be?  That old phrase of
"If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" rings through my head
every time I come back to it.  But, from what I have read, a number of
people are using it.  What are people's experiences with the HDHomeRun
and does the antenna you choose have an impact (I'm sure it does, but by
how much)?  Is the HDHomeRun better/worse than getting an internal HD
tuner card?

Combined with MythTV, as I understand it, you plug an HD antenna in to
the HDHR, and you plug the HDHR's ethernet cable in to your switch.
Then, on the MythTV side, you set it up to point to the IP of the HDHR
and you're good to go?

The limitation would be the FE for display, then, right?  I've got a
shuttle with an AMD64 Sempron 3000+ and 512MB of RAM (the systems are
*virtually* diskless) which, from what I can gather, may or may not make
the cut for HD...

-Rich