[mythtv-users] how to use Java-based UI(user interace) from mythtv interface

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:59:14 UTC 2007

> I have the following wondering:
> Can I use my own UI based on Java through mythtv interface, such as
> myth plugin or others,That I want to realize is just like that: when
> you choose the plugin button, and then the Java-based UI appear.
> How do you think about this plan? Is it feasible?
> or do you have any other idea about how to use Java-based UI from
> mythtv interface?
> Any suggestion would be welcom, and many thanks for you!

I'm no expert on the Myth codebase, but I am a full-time Java dude.  The
guts of Myth are written in C++, so at the very least, you could use
JNI to tap into the Myth APIs.  There may be another compatibility
layer that makes this easier (perhaps a network protocol), but I am not
aware of one.

That said, and this is coming from a huge Java proponent, this kind of
seems like forcing a round peg into a square hole.  Wouldn't it be
better to just learn the C++ necessary to do what you want?

-Larry