[mythtv-users] System freezes, Live TV and recordings

Leo Kliger lkliger at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 4 01:55:43 UTC 2007

<snip>

> My system freezes into a hard lockup and I have to hit the reset button to
> fix. This is somewhat a random problem but happens more at certain times
> and also at different spots. This is going to be hard to explain and I've
> not been able to find anything in the archives.

<snip>

> I've just updated my system with all the latest software including kernel,
> nvidia drivers, mythtv, ivtv... I'm running fedora core 6 on a AMD 3200+
> 1.25G Ram, nvidia motherboard, pvr-150. I have a 600G xfs lvm that I use
> to store my recordings on.

I spent months of my life last year troubleshooting (my first and
_last_) AMD 3800+ system that froze at random from as little as 3 hours
to as much as 12 days of run time.

I tried Fedora and Ubuntu including both 32 and 64 bit variants of
each.... the problem remained.

I replaced hardware components... HDD's, RAM, PSU, Video Card, etc....

I even tried different file system types... ext2, ext3, xfs, jfs,
reiserfs.... with and without LVM!

I Finally resolved the problem by building a new dual core INTEL based
system and throwing the AMD hardware in the bin.

I know that many on the list swear by AMD hardware for performance,
value for money, and stability but that was not my experience and as
already stated above I am never going to invest in AMD kit again.

This is probably not what you want to hear but I'd cut your losses and
and turf this system for one that will let you slowly recover from what
you are currently going through.

Regards,

Leo