[mythtv-users] Data Direct "service"

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Apr 3 18:00:11 UTC 2007

FYI

DataDirect has recently introduced a bug where updates to
the DataDirect are not handled correctly causing episodes
to have generic descriptions when delivered through the
DataDirect service whereas the descriptions are available
through tvlistings.com . Although several users have posted
specific issues to the forums at labs.zap2it.com, no one
from TMS has posted any messages acknowledging the issue.

One post from an uninformed user claimed that that the issue
was that of myth marking generic showings as repeats and was due
to a "*BUG*" [sic] in MythTV and we should be thankful for what
we get from "Tribune". I posted a response with the following
points:

- The poster's information was backwards.

- MythTV records generic episodes by default. The myth user
reporting repeats was using the 'new episodes only' feature.

- This was not the issue. tvlistings.com is reporting the
correct episode information and the bug was 100% within the
DD service at TMS.

- DD was not provided merely as a favor to it's users but was
created in response excessive traffic from scrapers like XMLTV.

- If description information is not available from DD but is
from tvlistings.com this will surely lead to people using
scrapers which would increase tvlistings.com traffic ten fold
then one-hundred fold or more.

- Therefore it is in everyones best interest that TMS take this
issue seriously.

- I reiterated a request that a TMS employee acknowledge this
issue, report the status and set expectations for a resolution.

Though there appear to be few if any posts from tms* usernames
in recent months, this drew a response within minutes:

"You have been banned from this forum. Please contact the
webmaster or board administrator for more information."

--  bjm