[mythtv-users] Integrating with Orb

Gary Mort gmmyth at saplings.us
Tue Apr 3 14:41:10 UTC 2007

I'm curious if anyone has some integration with Orb for MythTV working.

Looking over Orb, it seems to have 4 components for video playing:

The central Orb Server allows users to log in from the web and request
information on what media files are available.

The Orb Server running on your system is connected to from the Main Orb
site using http protocols to retrieve a list of the media files on your
system.

The Orb Server running on your system is also running a streaming video
server which streams the video in the format stored on your system to
the central Orb Server.

The central Orb Server converts the video from one format to the clients
specified format and streams it.

It seems to me that for a real hatchet job of integration, the following
might be possible:

Running a firewall/proxy on Linux for sharing the home network.
Run a SAMBA server on the MythTV box.
Run Orb on a windows box which has the videos directory mapped using
SAMBA/CIFS.
Run a streaming media server compatible with the orb server on the
MythTV box.

So the central orb server connects over HTTP to your IP address.  The
firewall routes that connection over to the Windows Orb box, which has
the list of programs available.  The media request, however, is directed
to the MythTV box to stream the recording to the central Orb Server.

Has anyone done this sort of thing?