[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Apr 2 19:12:03 UTC 2007

and James Warden wrote:
> if you're using mplayer, then don't forget the option
> -monitoraspect <what-ever-it-is>
> If you try to watch a 16:9 on a 4:3 monitor, then you should use 4:3
> or 1.3333 as a value to this option. If you have a 16:10 monitor, then
> use 1.6.
>
> That should solve the problem with mplayer.
> If you're using xine, cycle through different formats with the 'A' key
> and zoom in if needed with the 'Z' key (Shift+Z zooms out). You can
> probably automate this with xine in the config file or some place else.

Ooo.. great tips on the options to mplayer.  Thanks!

Ahh.. I wonder the DisplaySize stuff is causing it.

I'm using the nVidia driver and have it set to HD480p:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "UseEDID" "FALSE"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
        Option      "TvOutFormat" "Component"
#------------480p Group-----------------------------
        Option      "TVStandard" "HD480p"
        Option      "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "640x480" "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1018"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

And Xorg.log.0 shows:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "CRT:720x480+0+0"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture

I'll have to check out the display size wiki entry to see if altering
some of the options helps.

Thanks!
-Rich