[mythtv-users] mencoder and NBC 1080i

Mike Rosack mrosack at sacknet.org
Mon Apr 2 18:47:16 UTC 2007

On 4/1/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I would suggest loading the recording in avidemux and use the Decomb
> telecide/Decomb decimate filter combination on a short section of the
> recording. This is a port of Donald Grafts filters, for which the
> doom9 forums have lots of information on. I find this is a much better
> IVTC package than what mencoder has when the source material is poorly
> processed.

Thanks for the tip - avidemux worked great!

On 4/1/07, Jon <jon at sd-6.org> wrote:
> Add harddup to your plugins, you'll still see the dup frame messages but
> it will be smooth as silk with done.

I still get choppy output with this solution - my source must be
really screwed up. :(

> Also what ouput container are you using?  IIRC avi containers do not
> properly handle h.264 b-frames properly, and mencoder doesn't mux mkv
> properly.  Your better off setting up a fifo and piping mencoder to the
> x264 binary.

I'm creating AVIs - I just got the x264encopts off a random webpage
somewhere that said they were high quality settings, and the output
looks great to me.  Am I wasting a lot of processing time with the
b-frame settings I have?

- Mike