[mythtv-users] OT: which NAS-appliance can you recommand

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Apr 2 17:09:54 UTC 2007

Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> says:
> The other thing to watch out for with these NAS boxes is that they may not
> be able to keep up with recording multiple streams at once.

That's one of the reasons why I retired my Infrant ReadyNAS 600 from
active MythTV usage after 12 months of valiant service. Despite using
RAID 0 and thus benefiting from stripes without parity penalty, plus a
gigabit Ethernet connection, due to its puny (although being a SPARC
variant custom-designed for its task) processor and EXT3 file system
it could not adequately record more than one HD stream while playing
back another. Never mind commflagging!

Also keep in mind that the Infrant boxes are generally considered
creams of the NAS crop. They consistently win bakeoffs versus the
Buffalos and Iomegas of the world.

(That said, presuming that the original poster is indeed in
Switzerland, in practice he likely won't have to think about HD for
quite some time, so perhaps the above discussion is moot. SDTV's
network-bandwidth demands are much, much less.)

By contrast, my current RAID 6 Clovertown-powered compute/storage
server can--in addition to having much, much more
space--simultaneously handle three HD recording streams, two HD
playback streams, four transcoding or realtime commflag jobs at "High"
priority, and a VMware virtual machine, without breathing hard.