[mythtv-users] So how DO you setup a screensaver in MythTV?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 19:00:14 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Andrew Davis <andrew at nccomp.com> wrote:
> I tried this tonight... I exited Myth, went into the KDE Control Center
> and turned on the XMatrix screensaver. I even tested it and ran fine. I
> set it to autostart after 1 min and to require a password to unlock it.
> This worked fine in just KDE. So I started up Myth again... after 1 min
> the screen went blank. It didn't show the screensaver... and hitting on
> the keyboard or remote brought me right back to Myth. So in a sense, it
> worked by at least blanking the screen, but failed to actually render
> the screensaver I had chosen and failed to be locked after the
> screensaver started. Perhaps its a KDE thing? I know that gnome calls
> xscreensaver as its default screensaver app... and the Myth docs say
> that it has xscreensaver support. Perhaps KDE has a different
> screensaver program (maybe an interal one)?

My FC3/Myth 18.1/Jarod's Guide system uses KDE and my screensaver is
set to random.  Most definitely work (please stand by, pacman, all
work and no play, etc.) but I seem to get a larger than expected
(though low) number of just blank screens.  Perhaps some savers don't
play nice with something Myth is doing?  Perhaps the one you selected
is one of those?

I've not tried having it ask for password.