[mythtv-users] Ongoing Fedora YUM Dependency Problems

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 15:50:17 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, stan <stanlist at cox.net> wrote:
> > the only issue I have with Fedora and Yum out of the box is the
> > 'mirror' system that they use. Unless you specifically go into the
> > yum.repos.d files and specify a close mirror, you may be trying to
> > load packages from half-way across the planet. It's totally random.
> > If you get a 'bad' mirror, you may have issues updating / upgradeing.
> > I know which mirrors are close to my geographic location so I
> > put those into my yum config files before I ever do a yum upgrade.
> >
> > jack
>
> Network install here (over the home lan) takes about two hours with lots of
> "custom install" included packages.  No problem with that; it's expected.
>
> But, the first upgrade (yum -y upgrade) takes about four or five hours. (so
> it runs overnight).
>
> What's the trick to finding faster upgrade sources?
>
> Are there trustworthy "secret" distribution CD's that have already been
> upgraded?  Something like FC5.1?  (That has a ring to it.)  Or, is that what
> FC6 is about?
>
> --stan

I'm a geek.... I took the list of fedora mirrors from the fc mirror
list web page
and then I wrote a script to ping each one. I used the ping time to tell me
what the closest, fastest servers were.

for me, it's www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu so I added the FC5 path for gatech
to my .repo files.
baseurl=http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os