[mythtv-users] .20 needing more CPU than .19? (My upgrade story)

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Sep 29 03:54:48 UTC 2006

H P Ladds wrote:
> Short answer: yes, I'm seeing high CPU usage.
>
> Long answer: I'm not certain .20 is to blame.  I noticed considerably
> reduced performance after switching from a Knoppmyth to FC 5 install on
> a AMD 64 3500+. nVidia FX 5200, pcHDTV hd3000, 1 gig ram machine. The
> last time I used the Knoppmyth setup was to watch the finals of the US
> Open Tennis with OTA High Def. It worked beautifully.
>
> Since then I when to FC 5 / MythTV .20 and have trouble bringing in
> regular SD with out stutter and freeze. CPU is commonly above 85%.

I am certain it's .20, as it was a fresh compile of .20 on the exact
same hardware and OS install.  Nothing else had changed.

I did notice that the sound drop out problems I was having were not
quite as bad with the last version I tried (I'm using .20-fixes), and
that was a few revs ago.  When I get a chance, I'll try the latest one I
have (11326 as of this writing, I see that 11327 was committed a bit
ago), and it seems to address the OSD always being drawn issue, which I
never noticed before.

.19 does reflect about 10% more CPU usage when viewing one particular
channel, so if .20 does require more CPU, I may be stuck with .19, or
trying other more expensive options (splitting the BE/FE, buying new kit
to give it more grunt, etc).