[mythtv-users] Video card w/ TV out recommendations

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:16:27 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Norm <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> > I'd suggest going with a 6200 card for "future proofing HD", the
> > 5200's don't support dual-link, which is an advantage with 1080p, and
> > since 1080p will eventually be the minimum for HD tv's soon
> > (everything is heading that way)...
> >

> I'm also in the market for a new video card -- my motherboard supports
> PCI-E though, should I be looking for one of those or are there support
> issues with them?

I originally purchased an FX5300 (FX5200 on a PCIe board), and have
issues with it for HDTV (unfixable tearing, most likely due to memory
issues). I just purchased two 6200's (an eVGA and an MSI) to see if
either works any better (hopefully both!). Both together came to like
$80 via newegg, and one of them has a $10MIR, I'll try both and
return/sell the one I decide not to use (or keep it since I plan on
ugprading my bedroom mythbox soon).

As far as XvMC, the 6200's work fine, they don't support the color
overlay thing the 5200's do using the "hack", but they support some
other method, which Daniel is working on getting supported in Myth,
which I guess should be as good or better than the old 5200 method.
All it really gives you is the color overlay, as all the other
important things about XvMC already work.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!