[mythtv-users] Streaming Sirius through MythTV?

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:31:29 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Byron Poland <wpoland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Andrew Davis <andrew at nccomp.com> wrote:
> > While it may not be directly integrated into Myth itself, you could get
> > the WMV codecs for mplayer and the mplayerplugin, then try MythBrowser.
> > I haven't done this myself, but will try it with XM tomorrow...
> >
> > Eric Holt wrote:
> > > Michael:   You're right, I think.  I viewed the page source of the
> > > streaming page, and I see references to microsoft windows media player.
> > >   I could have sworn it was just some Flash application.
> > >
> > > Dang, that just flat out sucks.  Stupid of Sirius to do it that way.
> > >
> > > *hrmph*
> > >
> > > --Eric

> I've listened to and recorded the stream from Sirius before.  I would
> login and start playing the stream with firefox, and mplayer-plugin,
> and then copy the url from mplayer, and load it into the wizard in
> vlc, and start it to record.  I recorded a full day this way about 10
> months ago.  The standard stream is only 32K though so it is a little
> crappy.

I just tested this, (once I remembered my online login) and
mplayer-plugin would load, but would stay in buffering, but it had the
correct url, so I right clicked, and said copy url, and then pasted it
on the command line, put quotes around it, and vlc in front of it and
vlc started up and started playing it after a short delay.  I noticed
a parameter in the url that was bitrate=low.. I stopped it, and then
restarted the feed changing the low to high, but I'm still getting a
16 bit 44100Hz 31kb/s stream (wma2)  - From the vlc stream
information.

I'm not sure how the login process works, but someone good with
web/python or something could probably get something that can log in,
and extract the stream url, and pass it to another program.  that
person is not me.