[mythtv-users] downscale HDTV from component to s-video?

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Wed Sep 27 15:30:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Aaron Howard wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 09:47 -0400, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> > On 9/27/06, Daniel Walton <dwalton at cisco.com> wrote:
> >         I'm trying to find a way to get a downscaled ESPNHD feed into
> >         my mythtv box since that should be a much cleaner
> >         source than recording analog cable.  TWC said they disable the
> >         s-video output
> >         for HD channels on their scientific atlanta 3250HD so that
> >         rules that out.
> >

> TWC might be lying...or clueless.  I have an SA3250HD box from TWC in
> Columbus, OH.  I can confirm the s-video out works for all the HD channels.
> I watch the HD channels over the s-video plugged into my old 35" standard
> analog tube TV.  Aside from the "grey" bars above and below the 16:9 image, it
> looks pretty nice.  In fact, flipping back and forth between ESPN and ESPNHD,
> I think the HD channel down-sampled by the 3250 box looks decidedly better
> than the regular ESPN channel.

When TWC first started shipping the SA8000HD here (Raleigh, NC) they disabled
the s-video output because they didn't want non-HD customers requesting a
SA8000HD just to get the extra recording space.  They had a limited number of
boxes so that was their way of making sure they only handed them out to HD
customers.

I supposed I should check to see if they have re-enabled the port b/c someone
else emailed me offline to say s-video was active on their TWC HD box too.

thx
Daniel