[mythtv-users] MB hunt continues....help please

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 00:51:40 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, jack snodgrass <mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/06, RH <pvr at bostonmacosx.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > Maybe I'm not asking the right questions...
> >
> > I'm looking for a 939 motherboard with onboard S/PDIF and S-Video.
> > 4 PCI slots too would be nice.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Robert
> >

> Don't know.... I've tried a couple of different ABIT 939 motherboards with
> onboard audio and alsa recognized them but playing 5.1 surround
> sound ( ALSA:surround51 ) just KILLED the sound.. choppy as all
> get-out. I have to use my SoundBlaster Audigy card to play sound.
> I'm thinking of trying a Asus A8N-VM CSM board... it looks
> promising. Don't know about S/PDIF. I may get that ASUS board
> tonight and try it out.  - It only has 2 PCI slots though. If the
> gigabit ethernet does JUMBO Frames and the sound card works...
> I can live with 2 PCI slots.
>
> jack

I am going to take back the A8N-VM CSM board that I'm testing out.
There were several issues with the board.

1) Gigabit Chip does not support Jumbo Frames. The driver supports it, but
    not the hardware chip.
2) Alsa ( latest ) does not work with a 6 speaker setup.
    only 2 of the 3 channels worked.
3) video performance was ok, but probabamatic under a load.
    glxgears gave me 600 with the 6150 graphics chip and I'm
    getting 1,800 with my 6200 pci-e board.
4) overall system performance was lacking... when I am watching
    a HDTV stream, and doing a make modules on a kernel, the system
    behaved choppy on the ASUS board. My Abit board and pci-e video
    card go really smoothly playing a HDTV stream and doing a compile.
    I'm assuming that the video was taking more resources, slowing down
    the overall system.

jack