[mythtv-users] Underscan in playback and recording, driver issue?

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:34:13 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/25/06 19:39, David McKenzie wrote:

>>> Because the recording device was designed for use with a system
>>> that /requires/ overscan. I.e. NTSC and PAL were designed such
>>> that display devices would overscan the image to cut off
>>> black/green/rainbow bars, static, jagged edges, and any other
>>> "ugly" attributes of the image allowing the user to see only pretty
>>> and without requiring significantly advanced technology (remember
>>> also we're talking about technologies that are over 50 and almost
>>> 40 years old, respectively).
>>>
>>> That means, it's not a driver issues, but an encoding system issue
>>> (and we're talking the encoding that comes before the PVR does its
>>> encoding--garbage in/garbage out and all). So, if you don't want
>>> the edges, overscan the image to get rid of them--make your display
>>> device work as the designers of NTSC/PAL intended.
>>>
>>  I'd like to do this but I'm not sure how I can, my LCD display is a
>>  tv and only runs at certain resolutions, native 1366x768. I don't
>>  know how I can force it to overscan in X11.
>>

> You use either MythTV to overscan the video during playback or use the
> video drivers (i.e. the NVIDIA drivers) to overscan the entire desktop
> (which gets the video, the menus in MythTV, the desktop outside of
> MythTV, and every other application you run).

Just to second that and give some personal experience and expound a little.
For my Nvidia card downstairs this works beautifully, with TV out.
There is a utility that comes with the Nvidia drivers, something like
nvsettings.  Run that and you get a menu allowing you to adjust the
amount of overscan easily when using TVout.
Or, you can use xvidtune, if you start with a modeline that is readable
already.  Using xvidtune you can adjust the over/underscan to your
heart's content.
You will probably have to go the xvidtune route if you use an ATI card.
My frontend machine with a 9600 uses a custom modeline for an HDTV with
1280x768 native resolution (using hdmi input, not vga, so resolution
choices were limited to be able to display an image in X at all).  All
my shows were horribly underscanned, just as you described, until I set
a custom modeline with help from xvidtune that fit my preferences
perfectly.  Further, you don't have to worry about overscanning your
whole X image - it's ok to do that, because you can then set a custom
resolution for the mythtv frontend after that.  Just set a custom
resolution and offset for your frontend instead of using "fullscreen" to
fit it all in your screen to your preference.  You shouldn't have to
mess with it too much, as the program seems to be built with the idea of
fitting onto an overscanned screen in mind anyway.  You then select
"fullscreen" for the playback of recordings and you'll have your image
overscanned to the desired amount you set with your custom modeline.

Also, you may want to google the term "modeline" or "X modeline", etc.
To see just what parts of the modeline
 move the image around on your screen, what parts account for overscan,
and what parts acount for total resolution.  You can manually adjust
that in your xorg.conf.  Most people I heard of who wanted a perfect
image on their HDTVs had to go through the steps of editing their own
modelines through trial and error, unless their HDTV was the same model
of someone with the same setup.  In addition to using xvidtune I also
had to manually modify my modeline.
Raphael