[mythtv-users] Myth 0.20 and MythGallery on FC3

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Sep 26 19:28:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:11:44PM -0500, Gavin Haslett wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:51:08AM -0500, Gavin Haslett wrote:
> >> Lo and behold, it's missing. I went into a command line and tried to
> >> install MythGallery from atrpms, but it told me that libexif.so.12
> >> was required,
> >
> > How did you try to install? Anything else than smart/apt/yum is
> > rather cumbersome.
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get -d dist-upgrade
>
> Anything else, as you said would be cumbersome :)

The above is cumbersome as well, as you seem to have missed some
packages ...

http://atrpms.net/dist/fc3/libexif/

This libexif contains libexif.so.12 ...

> I then manually downloaded the RPM from atrpms, and it gave me the
> same problems with a straight rpm -uvh

But you still missed libexif for soem reason. Manual fiddling is
cumbersome ...

> >> and on searching I found I had libexif.so.9.12 installed. I tried to
> >> soft-link it, run ldconfig and install MythGallery again, but no
> >> dice. Oh, and I tried to upgrade libexif, but it told me the newest
> >> version was already installed.
> >
> > Then you probably haven't ATrpms as a repo configured.
>
> Strangely, I tried it by downloading directly from the atrpms site
> and use rpm to install. No dice.

You are inserting additional steps that require you to do the Right
Thing manually ...

> >> I'm running a rather old installation of FC3 on the box, mostly
> >> because it's been rock solid. I don't really want to take the machine
> >> "out of production" to do an upgrade unless I really have to... but I
> >> will if support for FC3 builds is going to start being rescinded.
> >
> > Irrespective of the above issue this will happen anyway.
>
> Yeah, I know. I'm starting to think that Gentoo might be a better bet :)

Any distro you use, if you discard its dependency system will make you
go through the same loops.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net