[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 26 14:20:45 UTC 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:01 AM, James Pifer wrote:

> Thanks for the info. It's disappointing, but what I was afraid of. I
> think I've always had the issue but it was not as obvious until I
> tried
> watching LiveTV, particularly sports, on TVOut. Recordings of
> regular TV
> shows aren't too bad.

Watching Live TV is really watching a recording. If watching a
recording is OK the additional load of making the recording while
watching it should not be too much, assuming hardware encoding.

You might be having problems with disk transfer speed which may be
related to PCI latency, look on the WiKi for info on how to possibly
get better disk performance by tweaking that a bit. Also check the
obvious stuff like making sure DMA is enabled on your disk(s).

If the problem is really CPU load not de-interlacing might help, but
not if the trouble is actually disk transfer rate.

Try playing back the recording made while watching liveTV with your
MVP to see if the problem is with the recording or the playback.