[mythtv-users] /dev/video0 vanished?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 08:19:54 UTC 2006

On 26/09/06, Pete Cap <peteoutside at yahoo.com> wrote:
> After some digging, it seems as if the reason ivtv isn't showing up is
> because I've got kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2.plus.c4 installed, and there is no
> matching ivtv kernel module (atrpms contains ivtv-kmdl-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL).
>
> So I could either roll back the kernel, or try to compile ivtv manually.  I
> imagine that will leave me stranded in dep hell--before I get started, is
> there an easy button for this?

If there are no precompiled ivtv packages for CentOS, you can easily
compile it yourself. This will not affect your ability to install
mythtv-suite from atrpms.net as ivtv itself is not a dependency for
MythTV (if you have read Jarod's FC guides you can see the
installation of ivtv is a separate step). Once mythtv-suite is
installed, you should not have any further difficulties upgrading
MythTV in the future - just keep an eye on ivtvdriver.org for
important driver updates.

Obviously, if you want \the\ easiest installation/upgrade path for
your Myth box, run an OS that is directly supported (kernel modules in
addition to more regular packages) by a 3rd party repository (like
atrpms.net) and you're unlikley to need to compile anything.

Are there any 3rd party CentOS repos offering builds of ivtv?

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/
MythTV users list archive: