[mythtv-users] Energe Conservation, was: Happy Anniversary

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 24 17:33:54 UTC 2006

On 09/24/06 11:32, Steven Adeff wrote:

>On 9/24/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>On 09/23/2006 03:53 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>

>>>I haven't made the jump to 0.20 yet, is a 5200 pretty much still the
>>>baseline for a graphics card, even with the GL screens and HD ?
>>>

>>Yeah.  Anything more is (currently) wasted.  (Now, when someone writes
>>some code to decode MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Pt 2/H.264 on the GPU using pixel
>>shaders...)
>>

>http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
>
>or similar, as soon as they include it in the linux drivers...

The similar would be the way to go, IMHO--i.e. using a
non-vendor-specific standard like OpenGL Shading Language.

And, really, it needs to be at the application (or library) level (not
in the drivers), because (currently) by the time the application hands
the data off to the drivers, it's already decoded.  If there were
support in the drivers, the application would have to be written to use
these driver features, and TTBOMK, there is no standard specifying a
hardware- and vendor-independent approach for handing video off to video
drivers for decoding.  It might be possible to shoehorn it into
something like XvMC, but it would require extending the
specification--at which point, it would seem better to make a whole new
spec.

Putting PoorVideo code directly in Myth doesn't seem like the way to
go.  Oh, and the NVIDIA Linux drivers already support OpenGL 2.0--which
includes GLSL--so...

Mike

BTW, I love the picutre they have under "Superb Picture Clarity."  The
side they show "Without PureVideo"is--far more importantly--without
deinterlacing, while the PureVideo side is doing deinterlacing (or
IVTC--basically, something that can be done without PureVideo).  I'd
venture a guess that the lack of deinterlacing is the only difference
most people will notice (some might notice a darker picture, but that
may just be the scene).   Seems to be a bit of a misleading comparison
there.