[mythtv-users] 1080i flicker

Jason Kraftcheck jkraftch at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sun Sep 24 15:05:35 UTC 2006

This isn't directly related to mythtv, but I'm hoping someone on this
list might be able to help me a bit anyway, as it is related to getting
mythtv working on my TV.

For some time now, off and on, I've been trying to get X displaying
correctly to my TV at 1080i.  I have a Mitsubishi WS-48311
rear-projection TV.  The TV does not have a DVI input, but it does have
RGBHV inputs so I'm using a VGA to RGBHV break-out cable.  I have a
NVidia Gforce4 MX4000.  While getting X to display at 1080i, I've been
using a simple .xinitrc that just starts an xterm in the center of the
screen.

The TV only accepts 480i, 480p and 1080i (unfortunately, no 720p).  I
can display 480p quite nicely with this setup.  Displaying 540p (which
the TV interprets as 1080i) works fine too.  However, when I try to
display real 1080i, I get really bad vertical flicker.  The flicker is
extremely noticeable for any horizontal lines and is so bad that most
text is illegible.  Its been a long time since I looked at X displayed
on an interlaced monitor, but I don't remember it ever being this bad.

I also tried displaying some video w/ xine and the flicker was very
noticeable in some parts of the image, even for me and I'm no
videophile.  When I run mythtv at 1080i, there is a noticeable
jaggedness along the vertical edges of the OSD.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this, or is interlaced display really
supposed to be this bad?  It seems to me like the interlacing is offset
by a frame such that the frames are swapped for a static image, but I
don't have a good enough eye to be certain of that.

thanks.