[mythtv-users] MythArchive: No sound on DVD - couple of bugs

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 20:29:08 UTC 2006

On 23/09/06, David Scammell <davescammell at gmail.com> wrote:

> pal intro's which have mp2 sound. When the final dvd is remultiplexed
> together the AC3 soundtrack from the intro video is made into the primary
> audio track on the dvd. The remaining audio on the dvd, for me in the UK is
> MP2 from the DVB-T telly, gets encoded as the 2nd audio track on the dvd.
> This results in a dvd that appears to have no sound after the intro videom,
> unless you know to switch soundtrack. I suspect that its non-standard to mix
> both types of audio coding on one dvd but I don't know for sure, perhaps its
> my mplex or perhaps there is another way around this. My quick fix was to
> copy pal_mythtv_into.mpg over the top of pal_mythlogo- intro.mpg.

The silence in your recordings could also be due to the fact that some
(nearly all BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 in my experience) UK DVB-T recordings have
a second silent MP2 track (format 64kB mono or similar), which
sometimes is the first audio track in the stream. I see this when I
demux recordings and if I use Cuttermaran to remux things you have to
remember to remove the silent track otherwise my DVD will appear to
have no audio until you select the second audio track. I think MythTV
itself has intelligent track selection so I don't normally have any
problems watching recordings or LiveTV.

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/