[mythtv-users] Happy Anniversary

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 23 18:57:21 UTC 2006

On 09/22/06 17:51, Steven Adeff wrote:

>On 9/22/06, Henry A Harper III <hah at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
>
>>From:  Steven Adeff
>>

>>>The problem is, even at idle modern CPU's still use somewhere around
>>>100-150W (from what I remember reading at TomsHardware). I don't quite
>>>know how suspend works, but I assume it basically "turns off" the CPU,
>>>
>>I guess that depends on what exactly you mean by "modern CPU" :)
>>
>>My mythbox has a 65W (max) Athlon 64 x2 4600+...the whole box does put out a
>>little more heat than my HDDirectTivo but not a whole lot more.
>>

>Your right, I was reading the system draws, which included a video
>card and 7200rpm harddrive.
>Apparently the Core Duo's use even less power than your x2! wow...

I think Intel rates their CPU's on average power draw.  AMD uses the max
power draw.  However, I think that the Core 2 Duo's (or was that Core 2
Duo Squared the Sequel Act II scene 2?) actually can draw less power
than the X2's--IIRC, Core 2 Duo can shut off one core when it's
unnecessary; whereas the AMD X2's can only throttle cores (so, min power
usage for an X2 is when both cores are fully throttled).  Intel can shut
one off and throttle the other.

Mike