[mythtv-users] ac3 passthrough problems

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sat Sep 23 15:36:04 UTC 2006

HI!

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Actually, it looks like MythTV completely ignores the Placebo--I mean
> Passthrough output device. ;)
>
> (The only occurrence of "PassThroughOutputDevice" in
> myth{tv,plugins,themes} is in the settings page.)

That's strange, because it actually works for me, as intended.

I have no .asoundrc. I have configured ALSA:default (which is analog in
Alsa 1.06) as normal device and ALSA:spdif as passthrough device.

Now, when I have NOT checked AC3 passthrough and play a AC3 5.1
recording, I get only Dolby Surround on my receiver. And I get analog
sound on my TV (using soundcard's analog output), too.

When I check AC3 passthrough and play AC3 5.1, then I get Dolby Digital
5.1 on my receiver, but silence on my TV.

When I play MP2 sound, then the AC3 passthrough switch does not change
anything. I always get Dolby Surround on my receiver and sound on my TV.

So, if the passthrough device is being ignored by Myth, then it must use
ALSA:spdif by it's own choice.

Thomas