[mythtv-users] LIRC Problem, MTV.20, FC5

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Sat Sep 23 08:40:59 UTC 2006

On Thu 21 Sep 2006 at 17:57:32 -0700, Tom Greer wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2006, 8:24 AM, Ian Macdonald said:
>
> >lirc has its own mailing list, with even more lirc experts than this
> >list. You might want to try there.
>
> The lirc mailing list is mostly useless.
>
> Many times I have searched the list looking for solutions to my problems,
> only to come up dry.  I could find many postings requesting help with
> symptoms like mine - all unanswered.
>
> For example, during the month of September, there have been 20 new threads
> started.  Of those 20, only 11 have responses.
>
> So *please* don't give people seeking lirc assistance here the brush off.
>
> Without lirc, mythtv really can't work as a DVR.  So users have to be able
> to get help.  In my opinion, we ought to be happy to assist here.
>
> Just my opinion.

Well, if you reread my post, you'll see I didn't give the OP the
brush-off. After suggesting that he try the LIRC list, I then proceeded
to offer pointers for further investigation.

I accept your point that not all threads receive answers on the LIRC
list, however. Perhaps that's because people unsubscribe once they've
received answers to their own questions.

However, I still feel it's worth pointing out the existence of other
lists to people, if only to keep down the noise on this list. Many
questions here would, for example, be better suited to the ivtv list,
which _is_ well read and well answered.

Cheers,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | All that glitters has a high refractive
ian at caliban.org             | index.