[mythtv-users] Happy Anniversary

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:52:09 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I typically turn off my tv, and leave the mythfrontend at the main
> menu (or sometimes the recordings menu, but my previews are still
> shots, not the clips).  Would this increase my cpu usage?  I guess I
> would like to save a little energy as well if possible.  Is there
> something, short of turning of the frontend, that I can do to reduce
> power consumption (or is the power consumption of the frontend minimal
> at those menus)?

It should be, I've noted via ssh that at the  menu the CPU does
throttle down. At least with the QT painter, haven't checked if the GL
painter changes this, though I don't see why it would.

Also make sure any running drives are sent to standby after a default
period of time (most do automatically). Standby should shut the
spindle down but leave the electronics going, which are a minimal of
power usage.

The problem is, even at idle modern CPU's still use somewhere around
100-150W (from what I remember reading at TomsHardware). I don't quite
know how suspend works, but I assume it basically "turns off" the CPU,
which may lower this a lot while still allowing for quick startup.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!