[mythtv-users] Minimum CPU / Video specs for HDTV Frontend?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv06c at crowcastle.net
Fri Sep 22 16:40:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 12:44 +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:31:46 -0500, jack snodgrass wrote:
> > Anyone know the minimum CPU / Video specs for a HDTV Frontend box?
> > I just installed a fresh copy of a linux desk top on one of those
> > mini-itx, fanless, 600mhz CPU boards and tried to play a HDTV mpg
> > file and it sent the CPU to 100% and brought the machine to it's
> > knees..... so a 600mhz mini-itx system is out.... I am looking
> > for something for the living room to run diskless ( and hopefully
> > fanless )
>
> A 3 GHz Pentium or 3000+ Athlon CPU should work. With less CPU power,
> you get close to the limit IMHO. I tested "Elephants Dream" in HD with my
> 1,6 GHz Core Duo, and it played fine.

The first issue is video.  You really need an nVidia 5200 card.  The
newer cards aren't as well-supported for XvMC (they use a different
technique or API or something).  And obviously, you need to use XvMC to
get the graphics card to do most of the work.

Once you do that, you probably are fine with about a 1.5GHz cpu.  I have
an AMD 2500, and it is at something like 40% during playback.

I haven't heard any reports of one of those mini-ITX with a VIA CPU
working for HDTV, though.