[mythtv-users] MythArchive: No sound on DVD - ffmpeg stream mapping problem

Roy Lofthouse lofty69 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 08:22:36 UTC 2006

On 21/09/06, David Scammell <davescammell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think its a little bug in the mythburn.py script but not had time to
> understand it enough to find it yet. An observation: my soundtrack is the
> 2nd audio channel on the dvd, the first soundtract is invalid or quiet,
> anyone else? Try your coasters again!
>
> dave s
>
> On 9/13/06, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Meredith wrote:
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > I have just tried to burn a program from the recorded list to DVD. It
> > > all went very nicely indeed until I went to play the finished product.
> > > Absolutely superb in all respects but one ... no sound.
> > >

> > <snip>
> > > The problem is that the source file has two separate audio tracks; one
> > > mono (0.1) and one stereo (0.2). The ffmpeg command chooses the mono
> > > track to reprocess to the DVD format file (Stream #0.1 -> #0.1).
> > >
> > > I reran the ffmpeg command as above, but with "-map 0:0 -map 0:2" at
> > the
> > > end instead and the resultant file had sound.
> > >

> > <snip>
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Andy M
> > >

> > I thing the algorithm to choose the correct audio stream needs tweaking
> > a little. It's worked fine for me in the UK with all the files I've
> > tried but I know of a least one other person where it failed to choose
> > the correct one. I need some additional information to figure out why
> > its not working.
> >
> > Could you run mytharchivehelper to get the stream info on the original
> > file:-
> > mytharchivehelper -i /path/to/original/file streaminfo.xml 0
> > and email me the resulting file.
> >
> > Thanks for doing some detective work by the way. I wish everyone would
> > do the same :-)
> >
> > Paul H.

I think this may be related to my mythtranscode issue...  Are you getting
two audio tracks when watching live tv/recordings?  What is happening to me
is the two audio tracks seems to get switched around when transcoding which
results in the 2nd audio track (which is a track for the visually impaired)
being the default.

Try watvhing a recording before and after transcoding and see if you need to
manually change the audio track to get sound afterward the transcode..

Roy