[mythtv-users] Multiple Directories for Recordings

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Fri Sep 22 06:52:11 UTC 2006

[i wasn't subscribed to mythtv-users but saw this thread in the mailing list
archives.  hence reviving a 2 week old thread :)]

 > was wondering if it is possible to spread TV show recordings across
 > multiple directories or disks rather than a single directory.

if you're prepared to run a SVN-head tree or patch MythTV, YES, this is
possible.  i've been running a multiple-directories-recording patch now for
over 5 months.

the plan is for this to be (hopefully) incorporated into myth 0.21.

see trac ticket #1744 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1744).
if you're up for applying patches,
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/1744/diff16.txt should do the
trick.

 > I would like to move older "do not delete" recordings to a NAS box,
 > and free up space on my media box.
 >
 > Is this possible?

the way the multiple-directory-recording patch works is it will record in
all directories (comma-seperated) - choosing the directory that has the most
free space.

once a programme has been recorded, you are free to move it between your
multiple recording directories as you wish ... the actual directory chosen
for each recording isn't stored in the database, so you can move them
around.

deletion of media is as per the standard Myth expiration rules and doesn't
change as a result of this patch.  i.e. if you mark a programme as "do not
delete", it won't delete it.

if you didn't want this patch to actually 'record' into your NAS box,
perhaps you could add a quick "don't record to this directory" hack to it.
or better yet, perhaps add a check for a file (e.g. .dontrecordhere) in each
directory & have it take that into account.

then you could manually move your recordings across to your NAS box & myth
will look there (for playing) but won't necessarily record there on its own.

cheers,

lincoln.