[mythtv-users] Upgrading from FC3 Myth 0.19 to FC4/5 Myth latest

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 21 21:20:51 UTC 2006

On 09/21/06 12:54, Mitko Haralanov wrote:

>Hi, my Myth box is currently running FC3 with MythTV 0.19. It is
>working pretty well (although with a few glitches here and there).
>
>Now that MythTV 0.20 is out and looking at the very long list of fixes
>and new features, I really want to update my software. The difficulty
>is that I don't want to loose any of my saved recordings.
>
>My video partition is separate and it will not be touched during the
>install process but I am concerned about the database. Can I just dump
>the database and then re-import it into MythTV 0.20? Will that work
>correctly?
>
>If not, can someone point me to a document or just outline the
>procedure for me?

Basically, yes, but make sure you re-import it /before/ MythTV 0.20.
I.e. don't run /any/ MythTV 0.20 application before you import the 0.19
data.  And, don't run the mc.sql script (because you're not creating a
new database--you're importing a backup of your old database).

If you're upgrading MythTV in place, though, the import may not be
necessary.  It's only necessary if you somehow lose your MySQL
database.  Note, though, that the backup is /definitely/ necessary.  :)

Mike