[mythtv-users] suggestions for pci-e nvidia 6xxx for 1080p?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 20 18:14:51 UTC 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I get my OTA over QAM through comcast so reception isn't as much a
> concern.
> (though has its own issues, like dealing with poor signal quality in
> the Condo building I live in. lots of students rent condo's and this
> last move-in weekend saw a signal quality drop, which means one of the
> Comcast technicians f'd with my cables, now I need to see if I can
> undo this work without having to call another technician out.
> thankfully the closet is just around the corner from my condo.</rant>)

But to get QAM you must pay for cable, and I don't like being forced
to do that when I didn't have to before the government "improved"
things.

QAM reception seems to need a very good signal from the cable system,
at least with the HD-3000 card that I have played with. You also are
pretty much limited to unencrypted channels which are getting less
and less common unless you use a STB from the cable co.

There is at present no practical way to get HD from satellite into a
Myth system, though the HDMI capture mentioned here the other day
looks interesting as I do get an HDMI signal from my satellite receiver.