[mythtv-users] OT: USB to Serial cable and LIRC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 20 18:05:50 UTC 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> I do user LIRC for my mythtv navigation, my problem is I want to move
> my FE/BE out of my liviing room and into my basement, but want to
> still run a connection to the TV in the living room from the basement.
>  I have all connections covered: video/audio/cable, but my IR receiver
> is the problem.  I too use the hauppauge remote for native Myth
> navigation and works well, but I need to extend the connection to my
> IR receiver about 30 feet, so that is why I was looking into using a
> LIRC compatible device.  If I had a serial connection on my PC, this
> wouldnt be an issue as most products for LIRC are serial based.
>
> Perhaps I should try a RF solution instead as LIRC seems to support
> that.

An RF solution would likely work, but be somewhat costly. The MyTV
site has some RF devices, including what appears to be an IR repeater
that would probably work.

Several outfits make IR repeaters of various types, some wired and
some RF.

If it were me I would probably try just extending the cable for the
Hauppauge IR receiver. An extra 30' may or may not cause trouble, but
it would be the cheapest solution and if you are running wires anyway...

I'd use an unshielded cable to minimize capacitance to ground
problems. If you get RF pickup problems you could try a .01 or a .1
uf capacitor to ground and/or a series inductor.