[mythtv-users] suggestions for pci-e nvidia 6xxx for 1080p?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 16:06:39 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > I've got a fx5300 right now (FX5200 on a pci-e board), and want to get
> > a 6200(or any 6xxx) series that has dual link support for 1080p (the
> > TV should be in the apt in the next few days, yay!).
> >
> > Anyone currently running a pci-e 6200 for 1080p output care to
> > recommend which card they ended up purchasing? I know it shouldn't
> > matter, but as some will atest, not all nvidia based cards are created
> > equal.
>
> I've got a BFG GeForce 6600-OC 512MB card and quite happy with it.
> The fan's a bit loud, but I guess if it bothered me that much I would
> replace it with a Zalman solution. It's a little overkill for myth
> but I figured I wanted something with lasting power and I could use
> it for anything else I wanted in the future. It was around $200 at
> Best Buy.
>
> I had originally bought a PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256MB card. It's
> about $150. I was having all kinds of issues with my machine not
> booting and locking up with it. I returned it for the BFG, but then
> discovered I had cracked my motherboard. I got a new motherboard and
> no problems since so I can't really comment on the PNY other than to
> say it was about as loud as the BFG and worked ok between motherboard
> crashes. :)

I guess I should have included the "cheap" disclaimer. I'd like to get
one of the sub $50 cards. Fanless would also be nice, but not
mandatory.
thanks =D

> Oh.. and I'm using this on a Westinghouse 42" 1080p display and
> running at full 1080p res. Honestly, I don't see a difference between
> 1080i and 1080p.

Well, you wouldn't until you get an HD-DVD player. The only 1080p
sources I have are 1080i converted to 1080p (IVTC, etc) and reencoded
to x264.

> A lot of sources, especially in smaller markets, are just
> upconverting SD material and calling it "HD", in which case you get
> all of the original problems plus conversion artifacts. This is what
> happens when the government mandates a conversion to digital.

Well, a lot of markets are taking SD source and putting it into the HD
stream, but it remains 4:3. this is because the programming isn't
itself done in HD. Usually though the signal this way is much better
than analog, since their feed is digital so the quality is about as
good as one can get. It does make recording sports done this way a
plus.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!