[mythtv-users] OT: USB to Serial cable and LIRC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 20 15:04:05 UTC 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for your insight.  MyBlaster looks like it is
> used for changing channels on a settop/dish receiver, would it handle
> menu navigation inside of Myth, for example, if I wanted to navigate
> to MythVideo and watch a video or would I still need LIRC for that?  I
> thought Myth internally required LIRC for menu navigation.

I use LIRC with a Hauppauge remote to control Myth and a MyBlaster to
control my DISH receiver. This saves having to run multiple instances
of LIRC or hack things up so it can do double duty.

The MyBlaster is an output device for controlling a STB or satellite
receiver as you said, it is not an IR receiver to receive remote
control signals.

So if you want to use a remote control MyBlaster won't do that. You
could use LIRC or use a remote control that appears as a keyboard HID
to Linux. LIRC is easy to set up for the commonly-used remotes like
the Hauppauge units.

I have a remote and a wireless keyboard. I initially thought I would
mostly use the remote, but I find that I use the keyboard almost
exclusively, but that's strictly personal preference.