[mythtv-users] Resolution / Aspect Ratio Mismatch - Proper Setup?

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 07:16:36 UTC 2006

I have a 42" plasma whose native resolution is 1024x768 (4:3) but is
your standard 16:9 viewable ratio. This means that the pixes are not
square and are instead wider than they are tall.

Everything I've read says that I _must_ set X to do 100x100 DPI,
otherwise I can't expect any themes to work quite right.

But, I obviously can't do 100x100 DPI because that will stretch
everything horizontally. Setting the DPI to 75x100 gets things looking
normal and I can watch normal 4:3 content boxed as well as various
wide format DVDs and everything looks OK.

So far I've managed to finally tweak font sizes to get things to look
ok in the majority of cases and along with a wide Theme, things look
OK.

Should I be doing something different? Or is this the "right" way to
handle this type of situation?

-Dave