[mythtv-users] New system: hard freezes - looking for help !

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Sep 19 21:40:29 UTC 2006

Warpme wrote:
> Initially I was thinking that it is heat related problem. In BIOS CPU
> has 50 C.
> My GF5200 is really hot - but problem with overheating Video should
> manifest rather as artifacts - not whole system freezes.

Don't believe this.  Back in the day I had a Voodoo 2 or 3 PCI in my
main PC that had only a passive heatsink on it and whenever I would play
FPS games my entire system would lock.  I literally tied an old 486 fan
to it and it never happened again.  If that video card locks up due to
heat it could take everything with it.  Try ventilating the case really
well (extra fans, desktop fans, small children with fans, whatever) and
see if the problem goes away.

Kevin