[mythtv-users] Network Drive Storage Questions and others.

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 20:41:00 UTC 2006

Ok, so i'm REALLY starting to look into this and quickly.  Couple more
questions for all of you:

Debating between going hardware raid 5 and just a bunch of non raid disks.

I'll start with the questions:
1) Can you convert from Raid 1 (Mirroring) to Raid 5 without loosing/moving
the data?
2) Can you add disks to a Raid 5 without having to move data off the
Raid/Reconfigure the Raid (i.e. can you add the disk in place)
3) What Raid card would I want that is Fedora RedHat compatable (i'm not
against another distribution, I just know RedHat like the back of my hand
now) for HARDWARE raiding (software raid in Linux has caused me NO END of
troubles)...IDE or SATA would be fine...SATA pref.
4) If I go with simply a bunch of disks like mentioned above what kinds of
SATA Cards would I want to go with?  Anything to stay away from as far as
support through Linux/Fedora?
5) For HDTV, should I be looking at Gigbit Ethernet to appropriately stream
data over the network or can I get away with 100BT?

Here's the thing, at this point i'm looking at one or two drives but being
expandable in the future.  I'd like to go with a pair of 250g now
(potentially Mirrored) and add to that in the future to build up a raid
5...depending whether the wife feels like the data on the PVR is too good to
replace or not.

Obviously if the verdict is "Na, we can loose it" then i'll look at a
non-raid solution since frankly raid 5 is just expensive and Mirroring is
just stupid when you're talking about adding more disks in the future (have
to add in pairs).  Otherwise I need some kind of extendable solution...the
epotomy of which would be starting with 2 drives now and adding a drive at a
time in the future.

--Douglas Wagner