[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and Channel change script for Myth TV

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 19 20:23:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 03:31:18PM -0400, Taylan Pince wrote:
> On 19-Sep-06, at 3:03 PM, PROTEK wrote:
>
> > I have not tried the Smart Blaster - But I will buy one even if it
> > cost a couple dollars to get my Digital Box working.
> > My time is worth something and there is ZERO good information about
> > using and IR Blaster.. ( they are a waist of money as far as I am
> > concerned )
> > I have been trying to get one working for over 6 months, now I have
> > just been waiting for another solution to come along.
> > Every time it comes up here it is just avoided and there is no
> > "good" documentation I have found that is actually relevant to
> > simply changing a channel on a STB from mythtv..
>
> Does it have to do with your particular setup? It took me only an
> hour to setup the IR Blaster and I had no idea what I was doing, just
> followed the directions at http://www.eggshellskull.com/

	If you're using an LIRC ir blaster, then  you need to get
	the lirc serial module built, the lircd.conf file sorted
	out and the ir emitter correctly positioned.

	Positioning the emitter can be tricky.

	Setting up lirc with multiple devices also seems to be painful.

	If he needs to figure out his own remote codes then the
	blaster by itself isn't going to be enough to get him
	going.

	Are there any cheap general purpose ir transcievers. The
	ones I've managed to find are all pretty expensive.