[mythtv-users] OT. Howto diagnose machine dying/crashing

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:30:46 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, list at onnow.net <list at onnow.net> wrote:
> Quoting Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>:
> >> Let me take a wild guess - you're using xfs, aren't you?
> >>
> >> There's going to be a lot of people on this list with high praise for xfs,
> >> but on a 2.6 kernel with 4k stacks, there's a high likelihood of oopsing the
> >> kernel, especially when layered with raid and nfs.  ext3 works just fine
> >> with myth, and it's *stable*.
> >>
> >> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2005-07/msg00041.html
> >
> > I was getting lockups on a machine running xfs and FC3 and like you NO
> > logs to help. I then bought a new disk and installed FC5 and jfs
> > instead of xfs and I'm not getting lockups any more. Of course there
> > are a lot of variables changed there - new disk, new o/s, new
> > filesystem so I'm not saying xfs was the cause. But I'd been
> > struggling with it for months and was coming to the conclusion that
> > xfs may have been the culprit. I was tempted to just change xfs to jfs
> > to see if that was the cause but I decided to go the whole hog.
> >
> > PS - I believe ext3 does handle large file deletes quickly now so you
> > may want to try that instead. But so far jfs has been great for me and
> > I've read other good reports about its stability on this mailing list
> > too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Phill
> I have now switched my /video ( 700 gigs ) to ext3.  I have been
> pounding on it with I/O and so far so good.  The next couple of weeks
> will tell.

I've noticed that on my machines with 2.6.15 and 2.6.17 kernels I have
no problems with XFS on my RAID arrays. But I recently moved a 3 drive
raid array I had on my 2.6.15 computer to a computer that is running
2.6.8(iirc, but much older than the other two) and its causing these
random freezes(during high load on the RAID array). So perhaps the age
of the kernel has something to do with this XFS issue?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!